Tuesday, February 23, 2016

WAI

https://www.techopedia.com/definition/4924/web-accessibility-initiative-wai






The site https://www.techopedia.com has given me a crash course on WAI and what its all about.  First off  the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) is an initiative developed by the World Wide Web Consortium to help make the Internet more accessible to people with disabilities.  This to me is one of the coolest things I never knew about.  The internet is a very useable source when it comes to getting information at the drop of a dime.  We rarely take time to think about those of us who are disabled and cant use or understand how to use the internet.  
  • Providing text alternatives for non-text content
  • Presenting the same content in different ways
  • Ensuring content is easy to see and hear
  • Designing pages so that content appears and operates in predictable ways
These are all ways in which developers make it so that people with disabilities can be more assessable to the internet.

1 comment:

  1. Jared, yeah, I really never really knew anything about this stuff before the class. After digging into it I was surprised about the things I never even considered that impact people accessing the Internet. The WAI provides guidelines on coding text for the colorblind (never even thought about that one), scrolling (for those with problems with dexterity ..like arthritis....closed captioned videos for the hearing impaired. As I mentioned in my post there is a lot of information to digest in regards to WAI I'm sure we only touch the tip of the iceberg in class.

    ReplyDelete